Go To Content

Food and Drug Administration

News & Events

  • facebook
  • Google
  • Line
  • Twitter
  • Print(open a new window)

Be sure to bring diagnosis certificate along with the controlled drugs for personal use when travel abroad

【Update Date:2019-05-17unit:管制藥品組

  Citizen travel abroad on business or tourism need to bring clothing according to the climate of the destination country; as such, medicines for personal use also need to be handled according to the regulation for the country of entry. Common sedatives such as triazolam, flunitrazepam, addictive anesthetics such as morphine and fentanyl, are controlled drugs limited for medicinal and scientific used only, otherwise, they are illegal drugs targeted by the Statute for Narcotics Hazard Control. Taiwan Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) reminds you, when travelling abroad with controlled drugs for personal use, be sure to also bring with you the diagnosis certificate or a copy of the prescription as prove for custom clearance.
  Countries around the world all strictly regulate controlled drugs at the border on entry or exit. Take United States of America as an example, should visitor on arrival bring controlled drugs for medical purpose, only reasonable amount of the medicine is allowed, a prescription or diagnosis certificate is needed, as well as need to declare on entry. Should citizen have sought medical advice abroad and bring controlled drugs on returning home, according to our custom declaration requirement, the medicine is limited to treatment of the same person, a diagnosis certificate of a local hospital or clinic is required, and the amount should not exceed that of the prescription, also the medicine should be carried in person, no airmail or express mail is allowed.
  TFDA reminds you, when travel abroad on business or tourism, should medicines for personal use be needed, bring with you your doctor’s diagnosis certificate or a copy of the prescription. Should schedule I to III controlled drugs be involved (controlled drugs scheduling can be found at TFDA website at http://www.fda.gov.tw/), bring a TFDA issued certificate as prove. Check at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Bureau of Consular Affairs website (http://www.boca.gov.tw/) for travel safety information before travel if necessary to learn of any particular regulation by the country of entry to avoid violating any law.